Monday, September 10, 2012

Who Do You Want To Be?

I was just snooping around on one of my favorite blogs: Kim France's GIRLS OF A CERTAIN AGE, when I saw her latest post. Her friend, Andrea Linnet, has a new book out called I Want To Be Her! How Friends and Strangers Helped Shape My Style.

I promptly pre-ordered it on my Kindle, because the illustrations look really cool, and I think the subject matter is fun. I also started thinking about some of my personal style icons -  famous and not, who influenced me. I have a lot, so I'll narrow it down to the ones who I copy on a routine basis. Hey, there is no plagiarism in clothing, right?!


ALI MACGRAW in LOVE STORY


I saw this movie with my Mom when I was a teen. She has always had a thing for sappy romances, and would make me play the theme song to this movie over and over on the piano for her.Dramatic crescendoes and all. But have a look at these clothes!  That red meeting-the-parents dress is just gorgeous with its slight bishop sleeves and swishy hem. Plus her hair is always gorgeous and shiny.

                                                                                   

Whenever Fall comes, I want to dress like this. I crave it like a madness. Peacoats and belted trenches are just timeless and classic. Plaid, oxfords and lots of navy. You can almost smell the autumn air in this picture, can't you?





KATHERINE HEPBURN

Katherine was such a trailblazer - her feisty personality and her ability to cut a path through the days of the casting couch and "act like a man" paved the way for the feminist movement. While I love her in her iconic high-waisted pants, this column of a dress evokes her ethereal beauty. I love accordion pleats - the way they look and feel, especially when placed on a bias-cut dress. 











And here are those pants. While Katherine was very slender, this look can work very well on a curvy figure. Just make sure the high-waisted pants hit you at the narrowest part of the waist, and have the top be tucked in or form fitting.You want to avoid camel-toe at all costs! Katherine would never have a camel-toe. No way.







RANDOM GIRL GOING UP THE STEPS TO MEYER LIBRARY
1994

I have no picture of this girl, because that would just be creepy. But I remember her like it was yesterday. (Also creepy.) She owned her naturally curly mane of hair, and it fluttered down her back like a pre-Raphaelite waterfall. This was when I was still forcing mine into submission. Denial kills. I was 19 and in my hippie-chic, sloppy t-shirt phase, and it wasn't pretty.  



          



This girl had the easy style we could call New French Bohemian - or messy thrift-store chic. The closest I can get to explaining that to you is Jessa on "Girls."  I haven't managed to make it work for me, yet. But, I want to wear the crazy flowered pants. Yes I do.









FLORENCE WELCH


Talk about style; Flo is all of these women rolled into one package. One minute, she is Belle Epoque beautiful, as if Jane Avril and Isadora Duncan morphed into a modern day incarnation. The next, she's playful and cute. While I don't have her legs, I share her flair for drama. If it were up to me, I'd come to work in costume every day. The thing about Florence is, her style is just enough notches beneath Lady GaGa Drama so as to still be wearable. Love everything about Florence. Everything. 


Pin It

1 comment:

  1. It's a really great book, highly recommend it!

    xx
    www.girlintheyellowdress.com

    ReplyDelete